compra de proximidad

A more globalized world: the value of proximity

In a world in which you can have breakfast with the publishers of the New York Times, experience the dawn in Papua New Guinea or reveal your secret recipe for roast chicken to your friend in Vietnam, it is sometimes hard to recognise what you have nearby. What you can touch.

We all like to occasionally go to a fashionable Japanese restaurant, sample the exotic spices brought from India or eat chop suey in the restaurant downstairs. But with respect to the distribution of food, the customer opts for locally grown produce.

In the last decade, mass distribution has had a firm commitment to developing its business toward local shopping. The 15 kilometre car journey to fill a shopping trolley for more than 300 Euros is now a thing of the past. Now the customer prefers the local supermarket, with an average shop that is more economical and where periodic visits are more pleasant.

But apart from the logical convenience of having a supermarket close to your home, local shopping includes the purchase of local products that gives priority to the product and to the supplier. The extensive network of stores in mass distribution is nothing more than the last link in a perfectly organised chain comprised of producers, suppliers, delivery companies and business people, whose main asset is proximity.

As an example, 94% of suppliers with whom DIA works are local. In other words, all those products that can be found in the store have been grown, planted or manufactured very close to where the customer shops. The other 6% mostly correspond to exported products and required by the customer who is increasingly more global but rooted in their neighbourhood.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.